Monday, May 25, 2009

How Do You Measure?

After a conversation I had today, I am perplexed by the thoughts that run through my head. I keep asking myself, "Is this really how life is supposed to be? or is there a better way"?

I know that we as humans all seek approval in some shape or form. However, the more of the world I see the more I realize that this is a huge issue not just on a secular level, but even within our churches. I see girls so consumed by what type of clothes they wear, who their friends are, who the hang out with at General Conference, and help us even if they get to go . . . all of this for a status symbol. It almost feels like our lives are virtual facebook pages - the more approval we have from certain people the better off we are. And here I sit asking myself the question why?

What is it about approval that makes us think we are somebody and something? I would hate to think that it is an attitude of pride since the book of Proverbs cautions us about that. Since when has it become ok to guage our happiness by the approval of man, and the thing we own or do not. I know the book of Matthew specifically talks about storing your treasure where moth & rust cannot corrupt.

I feel like the list could go on & on of all the places in the Bible that it instructs us to not put our hopes on the approval of man, but in Jesus Christ. I know that I have fallen into this trap many times, and am sure that it will happen again. However, I want to keep in mind that the only person who's approval I need is God. He has validated me to fulfill my ministry, and when I walk the path that He has created for me I know that I have His approval and nothing else matters. The doors that have been opened up for me are directly from God Himself.

So it is with HIS approval that I walk through these doors knowing He has my best interest at heart. If I measure up to Him, and the plans He has created for me - only then will true happiness come.

No comments: