Thursday, October 23, 2008

Firemen Don't Eat Goldfish


As you all know I am a nanny - going on 4 years now WOW!!!


Today was the typical chaotic lunch hour with 2 kids coming in from school, screaming because their field trip to the "punkin patch" got canceled, the baby climbing out of his high chair doing the monkey bars down the side of the wall. You get the drift that life is NEVER dull at my job.


Since Halloween is the long awaited holiday that my nanny children love, remnants of last year's costumes are being pulled out of the closet to be recycled and examined to see if new ones need to be purchased. Well this year the oldest boy (3yr) is determined he is NOT going to wear an old costume. He is going to be a firefighter end of discussion!!! We have talked for many days about what firemen wear when they go out to fight fires - we have read books about firemen - we have gone on the internet to look at firefighter gear. This has been a huge process. Well last night, his mother broke down and bought him a brand new costume. He was so proud of this firefighter costume that he actually slept in the pants last night as PJ's, and he was awake this morning at 6 am waiting for me at the door with his "fireman helmet, jacket, and a MIZZOU tiger tail as his fire hose." Oh did I fail to mention that he HAD to wear the helmet to school and his teacher let him wear it all morning long!!! HILARIOUS!!!!!


Now back to lunch time . . . my sweet boy whom I could not live without, marched in the door from school (still with the helmet on), went straight to the closet and put all the gear back on (as he was dressed at 6 am). Since lunch was delayed, I was passing out small handfulls of goldfish to all the kids while we waited on grilled cheese. The baby had some on his tray, sister had some, and I asked my boy if he wanted any, and in the most grown up voice he could find he stated, "FIREMEN DO NOT EAT GOLDFISH!!!!" Of course I laughed with his mom over this, but the thought never left my mind.


As I was pondering his statement, I thought how many times have I gone into prayer to make my requests known to God, and I end up telling HIM how HE has to perform. I make statements to which I do not even know the facts to. I state the circumstance according to the way that I see it, and do not even find a way to look at the picture from a different angle. I tell HIM the current situation concerning my finances, and the way HE can fix it is to give me a certain job, or I am sick and I tell HIM to provide a way for me to go to the Dr. instead of giving HIM the choice to heal or not. I am going to be honest - this has really perplexed me all day. God is God all by Himself and HE does not need my help. HE sees the end from the beginning - HE is the Prince of Peace - HE is the Lily of the Valley - HE is the Bright and Morning Star.


The things you can learn from a 3 year old and how they can be applied to day-to-day living is incredible. Give God credit for knowing all the facts - for know exactly how the puzzle is put together & for knowing what the picture looks like even before all the pieces are put together - for knowing which door is going to open even before there is a door to even look at. God is God all by HIMSELF & HE does not need our help or input!!! Just remember I learned today that "FIREMEN DO NOT EAT GOLDFISH!!!!!!"

2 comments:

Cylinda Nickel said...

Girl- Talk about it- I am going to have to find a BIG eraser and my tablet of "Cylinda tells God how to oranigze her life" and get to erasing. Thanks for the great reminder!

Paula said...

Love the story about your lil fireman. :-) And thanks for the reminder that we just need to let Him be God! Great analogy!