Monday, October 27, 2008

I Wanna Go Home


So you have probaly all heard the song "I Wanna Go Home" by Michael Buble. Well let's just say that it's not one of my top 5 right now. Everytime I hear that song, I have to skip it. That is truly how my hear is feeling: I just want to go home.


Last week my mom sent me pics from their quest up Mt. Kilimanjaro for church. When I was flipping through the pics, I came across one of the pics that mom took of the road. Really to the common eye it probably means nothing. However, when I saw that pic I started bawling my eyes out. You see last summer, I spent about 3 weeks in this truck. I went through pot holes, bounced over countless miles of gravel road, thanked the good Lord for paved roads, packed luggage in and out of this truck, squished in the back seat and trunk with my 3 sisters, and sometimes nationals. Oh the memories I have of just the short 8 weeks I spent with this beloved SFC vehicle. Yes, I do long for my family and that is what this is about, but isn't it interesting that something so insignificant can trigger an entire memory bank!


No I did not grow up on the mission field, but I do know that for the 14 weeks (6 weeks my first trip & 8 weeks my second trip) I was there - that was home. Those peopel were my people and are still my people. The way they have church (even though at times terribly long) - is the way I long for church in North America, their menial diet of rice and beans - I crave more than once a week. You see home is really not where your house is - it's where your heart is.


My mind cannot help but turn to the verse in Matthew 6 that says "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." I don't know if it's correct or even possible to invert the words and say where my heart is there will my treasure be. Regardless, that is how I feel. My heart is with a people who are not my skin color, who know not the language I know, who will never understand my culture - nor I their's. But this one thing I know is that one day we all will celebrate together in our HOME for the treasures and sacrifices we have laid up. For it is true - where your treasure is - there will your heart be also!!!!

2 comments:

Cylinda Nickel said...

Sending Welcome Home Hugs! Love ya girl

Paula said...

*Hugs* We understand how you feel...as MKs we are never quite "at home" anywhere. Which is a good thing, in a way. Keeps reminding us that "this world is not our home".

Love ya, girl! And I love your passion and love for Tanzania! Your life is richer for that!